Since 1937, Robert Haines Co. has been renovating and restoring some of the most prominent and well-known buildings in Indianapolis. We’ve left our high-quality, expert touch all over the city and beyond.
To any Circle City resident, Monument Circle is a well-known location. As the true heart of Indianapolis, Monument Circle is filled with life almost every hour of the day and serves as both a must-see for visitors and central gathering places for citywide events.
Right in the center of Monument Circle sits the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, a memorial that pays tribute to Hoosiers who served in the Civil War, the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Mexican American War and the Spanish-American War. Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument is the first-ever monument to be dedicated to the common soldier in the United States.
Over the years, our hands have been kept busy helping keep Monument Circle looking stunning and beautiful for visitors and residents alike.
During Indy’s heavy industrial days, Monument Circle used to be black from soot. As a trusted restoration and renovation provider, our Robert Haines Co. team was called upon to clean Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument and help breathe a new life into it. We also built a recess slope for better draining around the monument, patched stone affected by wear and tear and waterproofed the structure when we replaced the concrete on the steps and patio.
How much do you know about Monument Circle? Here are some quick facts:
- The cascades on both sides of the terrace flow 5,000 gallons of water per minute.
- There are 32 flights of stairs — 300 steps — inside the monument.
- Construction of Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument cost $600,000.
- There are different symbols around the monument that represent the Infantry, Cavalry Scout, Army, Navy, War and Peace.
- The 34 1,000-watt lights make Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument one of the most beautifully lit spots in the United States.
- There’s an observation tower at the top of the monument that is open to the public. We’ve been lucky enough to experience the gorgeous view of the city from up high, and it is definitely worth crossing off your bucket list!
Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument is an iconic symbol of Indianapolis. As the largest outdoor memorial in Indiana and the first of its kind, it’s important to treat it as such. It’s been an honor to maintain the beauty of Monument Circle for the past 85 years, and we will continue to provide not only the heart of Indianapolis, but the rest of the state, with our high-quality, advanced, and innovative services for the many more decades to come!